So I started writing this blog post last night at 1:30am after just returning back to Montreal after my 1 week vacation in Australia and my first week ever backpacking in Los Angeles and San Francisco.I wish I could write some really happy fluff piece about how excited I am about my upcoming trip, which while is true and I will write one of those. But I promised myself when I started this blog that I was going to be honest and that includes blogging about the lows as well as the high’s.
Truth of the matter is last night after returning back to Montreal to my half empty cat-less apartment as I was attempting to write this blog post I was trying to stop myself from bursting into tears.
Let me start by saying that in the last week I have had a phenomenally awesome time. Especially with everything else that has been going on recently I cant even remember when i’ve had this much fun and felt like I could be myself. I’ve seen amazing locations, done a stack of activities and more importantly met so many amazing new friends and people.
It was great to let my hair down and have a bit of fun and not think about anything that had happened in my life in the past 3 months in Montreal. However now that i’m back everything has hit me all at once.
Things that have hit me:
- Half of my furniture is gone, more notably my tv which makes my apartment very boring.
- My two cats have now gone to live with my wife which is great for them seeing as I know they will be loved and cared for, Just is hard being without them.
- All my friends are moving on with their lives and their careers and although its I’m excited about going travelling the uncertainty of not knowing what ill be doing or where I will be going after i’m done can become daunting at times. seeing as I dont really have any place I call home. I just have to live in the present and hope things will become more clear as time progresses.
- Flying back into Montreal from Washington Dulles late at night hit me pretty hard seeing as that was the same flight that my wife and I had originally taken 2 and a half years ago when we decided to leave Australia to come to Canada, there was so much excitement and hope for the future. I would never have thought that 2 and a half years later i’d be on a similar flight by myself with things the way they are now.
- Money has really started to become a concern for me, I got taxed really hard (40%) on my lump sum payment I was counting on for my trip, which isn’t the end of the world and ill probably get that back early next year when I lodge my tax return just means I’ll have a couple of thousand dollars less than what I had originally thought