What to pack the question I have been wrestling with ever since I first started planning my trip. I have read many other blog posts on what to take on an extended backpacking trip and the general consensus tends to be “Whatever your thinking of packing your probably packing too much”.
With that kind of in mind 😛 here it is. the list of all my possessions that I will be taking with me in my backpack that I will soon call home for 6 Months
- My Passport (Still need to Scan it and send it to myself and wanted to make 5 photocopies to take with me)
- Pen and Pad
- My wallet with Australian and Canadian Debit and Credit Card (My money is split up in 2 places, Ill keep both sets of cards in different places so if I get robbed Ill hopefully still have a access to some of my money)
- Documentation (My Vaccination certificates once I get them done next week)
After hearing a lot of positive reviews on Packing cubes and also not wanting my bag to be one giant free for all I decided to take the plunge and buy some eagle creek pack it cubes
- 7x Pairs of Socks
- 8x Pairs of Underwear
- 8x T Shirts (1 long sleeve)
- 1x Collared Dress Shirt
- 1x Pair of Jeans
- 1x Swimming board shorts
- 1x Long Cargo pants
- 2x Shorts
- 1x Light gym shorts (These are to sleep in or if I feel like going for a run)
- 1x Pair of Thongs (Flip Flops for you non Australians :P)
- 1x Jumper (Or Sweater for you non Australians)
- 1x Cross Trainer running shoes (These are my main shoes but they already have holes in them, Im tossing whether it’s better to replace these before I leave or wait till I get there and get cheaper ones)
- 1x Hat
- 1x Toothbrush
- 1x Small Travel Toothpaste
- 1x Razor blades
- 1x small bottle of shaving cream
- 1x Electric Razor + Charger
- 1x Nail Scissors
- 1x Thermomater
- 1x Can Of Deodarant
- Small bottle of after shave
- Band aids
- 1x small tube of styling gel (For when I wanna look SEXEH)
- 1x bottle of 2 in 1 conditioner and shampoo
- 1x bottle of shower Gel
- Small Tube of Sunscreen
- moleskin (for blisters)
- Antibiotic ointment
- Pain killers
I have yet to purchase these books but will be doing so before I leave, I am still debating whether I should get
Things I might be missing?
Alright so that’s it. Looking over this list I may have too many clothes, I probably don’t need that many socks, underwear,shirts and shorts. However I’m on the fence seeing as how much can a few extra pieces of clothing weigh. Feel free to lay into me in the comments about this :P.
I had a similar amount of stuff in my pack when I did California and it wasn’t too bad, But then again I wasn’t carrying my pack much as I got shuttle bus’s between hostels and airports. I’m guessing Ill be doing a lot more walking between hostels with my pack in Latin America.
Any feedback on my list would be much appreciated Have I packed to much (Probably) What things don’t I need, What things have I forgotten in my list?
For your convenience I have included links to amazon to as many of the items as I could find, I also get a small commission on any items that are sold through links in this post, So if you found this post helpful and are thinking of buying anything on this list it would be super awesome if you used did it via one of the links here.